Created for the students and parents of Mrs. White's 3rd grade classroom

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Home Away From Home

I went up to school on Tuesday for the first time since Summer School ended. As I walked into my room that was completely packed up (picture boxes from the tops of bookshelves stacked up to the ceiling with nothing on the floor), I got a quick rush of nervousness as I wondered if I would really be able to get all the work done in time. I quickly realized that because it was my fifth time setting up my classroom, I had gotten pretty good at it! I had my room physically ready in about two hours. Not bad, considering nothing was in its home.



At this point, I thought about leaving school because setting up my room was all I had planned to do. With my kids at their babysitters, I thought about all the fun things I could be doing with myself...going to the gym, laying by a pool with a book, cleaning my house (okay-not so fun!) but I couldn't do it. I kept telling myself, just one more thing and then I will go. An hour later I would find myself with my hot glue gun completely immersed in a new project that I swore would be my last for the day.



I guess what I am trying to say is I LOVE THIS PART OF THE YEAR! I love organizing, cleaning (strange), and decorating my room. You see, this is my home away from home and I like it to feel comfortable and warm. I love the nervousness that this time of year gives me as I wonder what my new students will be like and what kind of changes I will be able to make to my lessons to make them even better this time around. Teaching is a job that is constantly changing. An effective teacher does not do the same thing each year. An effective teacher makes changes each year as new strategies are learned and students learning styles differ. Every day is a little different than the last, which keeps me on my toes and loving my job! I am so looking forward to the new school year. I am all set with my new school supplies (I forgot to mention how much I LOVE going to Walmart and picking out new grading pens and folders for my desk...teachers get excited about doing back to school shopping too!) and my room is ready!



Although I have really enjoyed my time at home this summer with my two adorable kiddos, I am ready to start a new school year again. I am excited to meet my new class and their families next week. Here's to a great year of 3rd Grade!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment